If you would like to study as an exchange student at the University of Tartu, then there should be an agreement between our universities. Contact your home university International Office to see if there is agreement between University of Tartu and your Home University. You can start application process after your home university has sent a nomination email. All students will receive more detailed information about application process via email provided in the nomination letter.
- Autumn semester and full academic year: until the end of March
- Spring semester: until the middle of October
There are multiple opportunities to come to study for a semester or two through exchange programmes. The major and most widely used options are:
Exchange students are free to select courses from different programmes and faculties to compile a study plan that best suits their needs.
Information about English-taught courses is here.
Please note that the online application form must be filled in after you have been selected by your home university for study abroad at the University of Tartu. Follow the instructions given in the online application form.
Documents to be submitted:
- online application form (online application instructions)
- transcript of records issued by a home university (must bear an original seal and signature of an authorized official, in English)
- copy of valid identification document (non EU applicants - copy of the passport page stating the applicant's personal particulars)
- if required by your home university: Learning Agreement
- proof of English language skills (not applicable for native speakers and students of the universities where English is the language of instruction)
Exchange students whose primary language is not English must meet level B2 requirements for English proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Please view these requirements here: European Levels - Self Assessment Grid.
Documented evidence is needed to demonstrate your English language proficiency - an official letter from a language instructor at your university stating the student's language level on CEFR scale or if you have taken an international test of the English language (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.), please send us a copy of the test score. Minimum TOEFL iBT: 75; IELTS (academic): 5.5 p (no part can be below 5.5).
NB! Only for Erasmus exchange students: you can apply for the Estonian Intensive Language Courses (ESTILC) here.
Information about Learning Agreement (for students whose home universities require learning agreement)
When it is required by the student's home university to sign the Learning Agreement before the exchange period starts, it must be submitted with other application documents by the application deadline. In that case the Learning Agreement will be sent back to student after he/she has been officially admitted. Please note the Learning Agreements which will be submitted later will be given back only at the beginning of the semester in Tartu.